You are here: Our Curriculum
Our ambitious and progressive curriculum is designed to:
• excite and inspire every pupil, so they can thrive in all aspects of their lives - spiritually, academically, socially, emotionally and physically – in line with our mission statement.
• offer carefully sequenced lessons in each curriculum subject so that small steps of progress are achieved on a daily basis. Over time, this will lead to deeper understanding and a secure knowledge base that can be applied to future learning.
• support our pupils to become resourceful, reflective, respectful, resilient learners who are able to relate well to other people.
• develop pupils’ understanding of their role as active, ethical and educated members of society by promoting pupils’ knowledge of and respect for the wider world.
• foster a lifelong love of learning.
The STM curriculum is designed to be a knowledge-rich curriculum as we recognise knowledge as an entitlement for every child. The curriculum is carefully planned and sequenced to build knowledge over time so that progression can be tracked across the school. Key points include:
• Catholic values and teachings provide the foundation for all aspects of learning throughout the curriculum.
• The school provides a broad and balanced curriculum whereby subjects are taught in discrete areas. Opportunities to apply reading and writing skills are woven throughout the curriculum and links are made across curriculum areas where this supports wider understanding.
• Online safety is addressed through specific lessons as well as being embedded across the curriculum.
• Subject-specific language is taught at the beginning of topics and pupils are encouraged to use and apply new vocabulary.
• Knowledge planners outline the key knowledge and vocabulary for teachers - they also contain an overview of where the topic sits within the subject.
• Knowledge organisers outline the key knowledge and vocabulary for pupils and are used as reference point during topics.
• Key learning behaviours are taught and promoted alongside knowledge and skills.
• Pupil voice is used to monitor children's understanding and engagement in the curriculum.
• Learning is enriched by carefully selected resources and planned opportunities for first-hand experiences (educational visits, experience days, visitors etc)
Our engaging and empowering curriculum supports all pupils:
• to value their education and to develop a lifelong love of learning.
• to become confident, reflective, resilient and independent learners.
• to use the knowledge and skills they have acquired throughout their time at STM so that they can succeed at every stage in learning and throughout life.
• to respect other people, traditions and cultures and to become active, ethical and educated citizens.